Each year, the staff at Beloit College in Wisconsin puts together a list to try to give the faculty a sense of mindset of that year's incoming freshman class. Here's this year's list:
The people who are starting college this fall across the nation were born in 1984.
01. They were 11 when the Soviet Union broke apart and do not remember the Cold War.
02. They have never feared a nuclear war.
03. They are too young to remember the space shuttle blowing up.
04. Atari predates them, as do vinyl albums. The expression "you sound like a broken record" means nothing to them.
05. They have likely never played Pac Man and have never heard of Pong.
06. They have always had an answering machine.
07. Most have never seen a TV set with only 13 channels; nor have they seen a black & white TV.
08. Jay Leno has always been on The Tonight Show.
09. They don't know who Mork was, or where he was from.
10. Kansas, Chicago, Boston, America, and Alabama are all places, not groups.